C7 GMod Server Discussion

Dec 31, 1969
Columbus, Ohio
As most of you know I've been working on a (Planned to be Public) Garry's Mod Zombie RP Server. However it's been becoming apparent that it's almost impossible to have a Zombie RP Server for the simple reason that RP will go out the window and it will simply turn into a Deathmatch versus Zombies. No doubt fun but I believe myself and a few other clan members have brainstormed an even better idea.

We run a simple Sandbox or SpaceBuild Server and "almost" every day of the week we have an event. Such as the following.

Capture the Flag, Where the players break into 2 teams and have 20 minutes to build a defensible fort. Players then attempt to capture the Rollermine from the enemy's base.

RC Racing, Where players design cars and race them along an admin defined course.

NPC Attack, Where players design their base and then defend it from waves of attacking NPC's controlled by an admin.

Bot Battles, where players design bots and battle it out in an arena.

Now obviousally the primary issues with build servers are PvP and Prop Spamming. Both are easy enough to correct. PvP would simply be disabled until a PvP match was to be begun. And Prop Spamming is controlled by a Money Script. Every prop has a set price (Either the Default or a per prop price) and players are paid a salary as they play on the server. Simply modifying the salary and prop costs will make it quite simple to prevent prop spamming because no one will wait 8 hours to spam 50 explosive barrels. All the Prop Prices can be adjusted while In Game. I tested this for 5 hours Single Player with a rate of 10 credits every 2 minutes and every prop costing 2 credits and never had a problem building a fort.

There would also be a votekick and voteban (10min) Script in place to ensure that even if an admin is unable to watch the server that players could be dealt with. Also we could run GMod Schools where we teach users about various aspects of Garrys Mod Such as Wire and the different Tools.

Any comments would be welcomed.

Marthicus

C7 GRUNTS
Steam Users
Dec 31, 1969
Melbourne, Vic, Australia
I was talking to Will about the zombie RP server when we came up with this lol.

It will have to be admin run, since a)scripts to do the same thing will be too hard/impossible to make. and b) interactivity with admins and players will make it fun.

We will need admins that want to be on the gmod servers ALOT and also love messing around with players , yet know when to step in to ban.

Controlling everything will give admins some fun aswell as players. I believe this could work really well.

Dec 31, 1969
Seattle, Washington.
I enjoy the idea, especially NPC Attack.

Though, would would be cool is take the Zombie RP idea and combine it with NPC Attack. Take the old Nighthouse map for GMOD and put it into action with this said mixture of modes and bam... Or perhaps someone from the CoZ clan or one of the members of this forum could make a Destructible House(Or something related) for this said NPC Attack or Mixture of NPC Attack and Zombie RP

Though, if it's going to be Zombie RP. Why not keep it private and only let qualified (good rp'ers. How to prove good rp I'm not quite sure.) and to prevent it from DM'ing, why not add NPC Spawn platforms or do what Taco and Banana do with their servers and let certain players have tool trust but instead of tool trust, its NPC spawn.

Dec 31, 1969
Cumbria, UK.
Steam
Seems like a good plan :twisted:

Dec 31, 1969
Zombie RP? Sounds a bit creepy if you ask me.

Also the Capture the Flag Gamemode doesn't sound too good, first off it sounds exactly like Sourceforts and second, if players are able to spawn any prop, then all the'd have to do is spawn some giant metal structure of some sort to block their "flag". You'd also have to use Gcombat just to be able to destroy these props, it just doesn't sound like it's going to work!

Aside from that it's a great idea!

WillSWC
Dec 31, 1969
Columbus, Ohio
In response to Death, With Capture the Flag the whole point of having an admin on would to ensure they only use props that can be destroyed. ^_^

WillSWC
Dec 31, 1969
Columbus, Ohio
Yah, But that'd simply be more coding which is what we're trying to avoid...

Dec 31, 1969
Yea, cuz none of us know how to code lua!

BlueFox

C7 GRUNTS
Steam Users
Dec 31, 1969
good ideas keep up the good work Will. I will be looking forward for my progress updates in the server

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)