Let's go Quantum

Taininfernus

Original poster
C7 LEADER
Minecraft Builders
Steam Users
It's been a little while since the cool quantum discussion we had on Vent. ?I'm always willing to talk about this stuff. ?We could do another Vent seminar or we could just post here, either one. ?I've got a ton of links to kick-ass videos and diagrams of these ideas. ?Quantum theory isn't incredibly hard. ?There will be almost no equations, although there are very few which will be essential to your knowledge of how stuff works.
Also, WOOT FOR TEH LHC. ?IT NO DESTROY WURLD!!!!...according to safety report, but I can't wait for it to turn on. ? TURN THE FUCK ON, ALREADY!!! ?AH WANTS UNIFYED TEERY OF EVRYTING!!!!

So yeah, physics 'n stuff.

And just so we're clear:

This is science:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWyTxCsIXE4[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfPeprQ7oGc[/youtube]

And this is NOT FUCKING SCIENCE!!!!
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uG8pGSxNrZ8[/youtube]
Beware New-Agers trying to use the uncertainty of quantum theory to further their bullshit.
Now, while the two top-most clips are accurate, they come from a movie called What The (*#$ Do We Know?! Down the Rabbit Hole, which is very pseudo-scientific. ?BEWAREZ!!!!!

BioHazard

Steam Users
Dec 31, 1969
Ishpeming, MI, USA
Credits
Oh yeah, I remember talking about this on Vent with ya. But then we went into a discussion on the Gman and how he talks lol. I have heard about the LHC but I don't know exactly what it does.

OP
Taininfernus

Taininfernus

Original poster
C7 LEADER
Minecraft Builders
Steam Users
8O IT IS MADE OF WIN AND FUCK!!!!
or is that fuckin win?

The LHC stands for Large Hadron Collider. ?It is a 27km particle accelerator in Geneva, Switzerland. ?It is the fastest particle accelerator to date. ?It will take Hadrons, in this case protons, and accelerate them to 99.9999% of c. ?c being 186,000 miles per second. ?They use supercooled magnets (about 2 degrees Kelvin/-271.15 celsius/-456.07 fahrenheit) to bend the trajectory of the proton beams so they smash into each other at these incredibly high energies (velocities).
These collisions will "shatter" the proton into its component particles, which go spinning off and are detected and studied. ?These collisions happen millions of times a second. ?They are trying to match the conditions at the beginning of the universe and use high-energy collisions to understand what happened in that billionth of a billionth of a second after the Big Bang, when the forces coalesced and the Universe began to form.

"When activated, it is theorized that the collider will produce the elusive Higgs boson, the observation of which could confirm the predictions and "missing links" in the Standard Model of physics and could explain how other elementary particles acquire properties such as mass.[3][2] The verification of the existence of the Higgs boson would be a significant step in the search for a Grand Unified Theory, which seeks to unify three of the four known fundamental forces: electromagnetism, the strong nuclear force and the weak nuclear force, leaving out only gravity. The Higgs boson may also help to explain why gravitation is so weak compared to the other three forces. In addition to the Higgs boson, other theorized novel particles that might be produced, and for which searches[4] are planned, include strangelets, micro black holes, magnetic monopoles and supersymmetric particles."
-Wikipedia

It's also worth noting that, for the most part, electromagnetism and the weak nuclear force have been reconciled into the electroweak force. ?The idea is that, as we go back in time to the beginning of the universe, the four forces (gravity, strong and weak nuclear forces, and electromagnetism) come together and become a single "superforce". ?So far, calculations have shown the electroweak force under these conditions. ?Cool shiz.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)