Ventrilo Normalization (everyone has the same volume)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoZmicShReddeR

Staff member
C7 Commander
Minecraft Builders
Top Poster Of Month
Reactions
Website
www.cozworld.com
Steam
Ventrilo Normalization (everyone has the same volume)
by Fire-Wired on Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:00 pm

I found this really good tip for ventrilo while browsing how to use ventrilo. This basicly normalizes all incoming sounds through ventrilo, so people who yell or speak soft sound the same volume as everyone else. I found this excelent to prevent those ear rape loud clips that happen. I have been using it for the past few days and found it very effective, except it has the side effect of making everyone sound like they are from a podcast.

What follows below is taken from the forum, which oddly is down at the moment.
Copyied from: http://www.inner-sanctum-guild.com/foru ... /9818.page
----------------------------------------------------------------

I just set this up... hopefully it'll work

Vent Normalization makes every bodies voice the exact same volume. In essence, you won't blow your ear's out or have difficulty hearing people.

Here's how:

- Go to Setup

- Enable Direct Sound

- Select the SFX Button

- Select Compressor and click Add.

- Under Compressor Properties use the following settings

- Gain = Adjust for how loud you want people to be. (I use 15)

- Attack = 0.01

- Release = Around 500

- Threshold = Around -30

- Ratio = 100

- Pre delay = 4.0

if someone has an "S" by their name you should remove it so that the global fix will work.

- right click on the persons name

- goto "Miscellaneous" and then to "Special Effects..."

- select "Volume" in the left "Current" window

- click "Remove ->"

Technical bs that most ppl probably don't wanna know

A compressor is an automatic gain (volume) reduction tool. It looks at the incoming signal and compresses the sound waveform a lot or a little depending on how you set the controls. I've been using a compressor for a long time with ventrilo because I'm a big sound eek and have that kind of stuff lying around to use; it kept everyone the same volume so I could hear the quiet folks and the loud ones didn't blow my ears off.

Ventrilo 2.3 now (thank god) has some processing built in, including compression on any specific user or compression on the entire signal coming out of the program. You have to be using directsound for this to work at all, so having that checked hit the SFX button located above the devices:

Once there pick "compressor" from the list and add it to the "current" side of the list:

Either double clicking on the "compressor" text or hitting "properties" with it selected gives you the following:

More than likely, most people can get to this point but might not know what all the knobs do, which is why I am writing this.

Gain
How much volume you feed into the compressor. Not really relevant unless everyone is too quiet, then you can turn this up a little; turning it up too much will sound EXTREMELY shitty.

Attack
How fast volume change will happen. example: setting this to 500 means that any-
thing coming in will only be dropped in volume after a half a second. for vent this should
be set as low as possible.

Release
how fast the compressor stops changing things. not really that relevant with vent, setting it around 500 is good for voice material.

Threshold
This sets the point where we actually start changing what s coming in. Whereas 0 is the absolute loudest you can have for an input, -60 is super quiet. Average users will probably come in somewhere around -25 to -15, with the occaisional few being really quiet, which is why I have this set so low.

Ratio
How much any sound below the set threshold gets compressed and/or modified in the volume department.
If you still want to hear SOME volume variation then set this lower (2-4)... the higher you set it the closer in volume everyone will be.

Pre delay
Mostly just deals with processing; with computer and digital processors they can look ahead a few milliseconds to see what needs to be dropped in volume or changed before it actually comes through the speakers. Highest is ideal.

You can also do this to specific users by rightclicking on their name and picking "special effects" from the "miscellaneous" menu. One thing especially to take notice of is that any individual user effects will override the master special effects. I found this out the hard way by using the compressor as I've described but having one user's volume set to around 180%, and when they spoke I just about $h!t myself before I dove for my volume control.

Hopefully this helps anyone who wants to use it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)